Why Hire an Arborist?
Posted in General by RPM Tree Service
Arborists specialize in the care of individual trees. They are knowledgeable about the needs of trees and are trained and equipped to provide proper care.
Hiring an arborist is a decision that should not be taken lightly. Proper tree care is an investment that can lead to substantial returns. Well cared-for trees are attractive and can add considerable value to your property. Poorly maintained trees can be a significant liability. Removing or pruning trees, especially large trees, can be dangerous work. Tree work should be done only by those trained, qualified, and equipped to work safely in trees.
Services That Arborists Can Provide
An arborist can determine the type of pruning necessary to maintain or improve the health, appearance, and safety of trees. Pruning techniques include removing limbs that:
- interfere with utilities or structures
- obstruct streets or sidewalks
- are dead, weak, or decayed and pose unacceptable risk
- are diseased or insect-infested
- have been damaged by storms
- will increase light penetration and reduce wind resistance within the canopy
Other pruning techniques are used to maintain proper structure in young trees, improve tree shape or form, and reduce the likelihood of future damage during storm events.
Although tree removal is a last resort, there are circumstances when it is necessary. An arborist can help decide whether a tree should be removed. Removal is recommended when the tree is:
- dead or dying
- considered an unacceptable risk
- causing an obstruction that is impossible to correct through pruning
- crowding and causing harm to other, more desirable trees
- to be replaced by a more suitable specimen
- located in an area where new construction requires removal
Emergency Tree Care
Storms may cause limbs or entire trees to fall, often landing on other trees, structures, or cars. The weight of storm-damaged trees is great, and they can be dangerous to remove or trim. An arborist can assist in performing the job in a safe manner, while reducing further risk of damage to property.